OKLAHOMA CITY — Vinyard Fruit and Vegetable Company has initiated a voluntary recall of fresh-cut cantaloupe products because they have the potential to be contaminated with salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometime fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Healthy people infected with salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare instances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
Due to the Nov. 8 recall of fresh, whole cantaloupes by Sophia Foods, LLC (DBA Trufresh) of Nogales, Arizona, in response to a notification by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency of a potential contamination with Salmonella, Vinyard Fruit and Vegetable Company is issuing this recall. Cantaloupes recalled by Sophia Foods LLC were used as a raw material in Vinyard cantaloupe products listed below.
There have been no reported illnesses associated with subject cantaloupes, to date.
This recall includes the following fresh-cut products containing cantaloupe purchased from Vinyard Fruit and Vegetable Company from October 30, 2023 to November 10, 2023 and distributed in the state of Oklahoma through retail and wholesale outlets:
Vinyard has contacted all retailers and wholesalers who purchased these products and notified them to remove recalled products from their inventory immediately and dispose of products or arrange for their pick-up by a Vinyard representative.
- Consumers who believe that they are in possession of any of the products affected by this recall should take the following actions:
- Check to see if you have recalled products.
- Do not consume, serve, sell or distribute recalled products.
- Dispose of the recalled product or return to the location where they were purchased.
- Consumers who are unsure if they have purchased the recalled product are advised to contact their retailer.
- If you think you became sick from consuming a recalled product, contact your healthcare provider.
Consumers may obtain additional information by calling Jennifer Vogler at 1-405-639-2451, Monday through Friday 9AM to 5PM CST.