A chemical spill Wednesday at a mushroom processing facility in Pennsylvania sent 12 workers to the hospital.
According to local media, at around 12 p.m. on Wednesday, a barrel containing peracetic acid, which is used to clean and disinfect mushrooms, either spilled or leaked. Several workers began to feel dizzy, so they were decontaminated and sent to a local hospital. All of the workers are expected to recover.
The rest of the employees were then evacuated.
The company involved, Kaolin Mushroom Farms Inc., issued a statement saying: “The company’s first priority is to its employees and surrounding communities. Local Hazmat teams are on-site conducting a thorough review.”
Local media reports that this is the first spill of its kind at the facility.