Consumer Trends: St. Patrick's Day Treats
SPARKS, Md. (McCormick) — The baking experts in the McCormick Kitchens are bringing two of the year’s hottest color trends to the kitchen with flavorful treats in vibrant emerald, the color of the yeari, and an ombre cake inspired by fashion’s color fade craze. In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, McCormick is inviting everyone to give their holiday celebrations a splash of color and flavor with new recipes and a guide to tinting baked goods green in seven shades - from mint to emerald.
Emerald green may be this year’s favorite color, but the demand for green food color isn’t new. Each year, home bakers look to McCormick for minty-flavored, green recipes to enhance their St. Patrick’s Day festivities. In fact, last year enough green food color was sold to tint more than 26.2 million cake pops emerald green and 2012 sales of pure peppermint extract increased more than 50 percent in the weeks leading up to St. Patrick’s Day.ii
“Flavorful green treats have never been more in style,” said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. “Whether you’re baking with the family or adding bright color to a fun gathering, our green tinting guide and festive recipes will help you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with the color and flavor of the holiday – vivid green and refreshing peppermint.”
Seven Shades of Green with McCormick Food Colors:
|AMOUNT OF FOOD COLOR NEEDED FOR THIS SHADE OF GREEN||White Cake Mix |
(1 package, 15.25 to 18.05 oz):
|White Icing |
(1 can, 16 oz.):
|Mint Green||9 drops Green + 3 drops Yellow||6 drops Green + 2 drops Yellow|
|Green Apple||25 drops Neon Green + 2 drops Neon Blue||50 drops Neon Green + 4 drops Neon Blue|
|Neon Green||15 drops Neon Green||30 drops Neon Green|
|Teal Green||40 drops Blue + 16 drops Green||20 drops Blue + 8 drops Green|
|Garden Green||50 drops Green +12 drops Yellow||25 drops Green + 6 drops Yellow|
|Shamrock Green||50 drops Green + 4 drops Blue||25 drops Green + 2 drops Blue|
|Emerald Green||200 drops Green (2 Teaspoons)||100 drops Green (1 Teaspoon)|
Whether preparing for a classroom party or an at-home Irish fest, McCormick is the trusted source for the best results every time:
- Green Ombre Cake: Take the latest fashion trend to the kitchen with this simple recipe that’s sure to leave guests color-crazed. Varying the drops of food color in three layers of cake made from a cake mix makes this fashionable delight achievable for bakers at any level.
- Pot of Gold Cookies: Hollow on the inside and filled with your favorite chocolate candies, kids of all ages can discover the end of the rainbow with these bountiful cookies.
- Luck o’ the Irish Cake Pops: Give crowd-pleasing cake pops some St. Patrick’s Day spirit with green food color. Decorate with shamrock sprinkles for a festive dessert, inside and out.
- Emerald Mint Milkshake: A hint of green and some Pure Peppermint Extract turn a classic milkshake into a refreshingly cool treat. You’d be lucky to get your hands on one of these!
- Green with Envy Cheesecake Bars: The name says it all! Contrasting layers of green, white and chocolaty brown get a hint of sophistication with invigorating Pure Peppermint Extract.
- Green Beer: Add 5-6 drops of green food color to 12 ounces of beer for a perfectly green drink.
For more ideas on how to transform St. Patrick’s Day into a festive celebration in every shade of green, visit Facebook.com/McCormickSpice  or McCormick.com , or join McCormick on Pinterest at Pinterest.com/mccormickspices  for more creative ideas. Look for McCormick Food Colors and Extracts in the spice aisle of supermarkets and mass merchandisers nationwide.