SPARKS, Md. (PRNewswire) — McCormick & Company, Incorporated, a global leader in flavor, today unveiled its McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2013. Now in its thirteenth year, the report is an annual spotlight on the emerging trends that the company expects to drive in terms of flavor innovation over the next several years.
"Through the Flavor Forecast, McCormick leads the way in identifying flavor trends that serve as catalysts for innovation in many favorite retail brands and restaurant menus, including our own products," said Alan Wilson, Chairman, President and CEO of McCormick. "With our global team of experts – spanning consumer and industrial segments in more than 100 countries – McCormick has a unique capability of identifying new and emerging trends on a global scale."
"At McCormick, it's our passion for flavor that helps us deliver such a strong track record of identifying the trends consumers will come to love," added Wilson. Past reports have helped move once unfamiliar ingredients and trends into mainstream popularity. When chipotle was featured in the Flavor Forecast 2003, it was virtually unknown in the broad consumer marketplace. Since then, U.S. menu items mentioning chipotle flavor have increased by a staggering 214 percent. The trend of infusing foods with cocktail-inspired flavors appeared in the 2008 Flavor Forecast. About 3,000 new grocery products have been launched since then featuring a variety of flavors like whiskey, ale, bourbon, brandy and more.
The much-anticipated Forecast report is created by a team of McCormick chefs, sensory scientists, dietitians, trend trackers, marketing experts and food technologists from around the world. In its second year as a global report, the Flavor Forecast showcases trends and flavors taking root in cultures spanning Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, Latin America and North America.
With the Flavor Forecast 2013, McCormick has identified five trends that the company believes will drive new product development and innovative menu additions over the coming years. Ten accompanying flavor combinations illustrate how these trends are coming to life through taste.
"Around the world, we're seeing a fascinating collision of tradition and innovation. Authentic, real ingredients are still at the core – though now they're being enjoyed in unique, updated ways that reflect a much more personalized approach to cooking and eating," said McCormick Executive Chef, Kevan Vetter.
One leading trend featured in this year's Flavor Forecast is "Global My Way," which describes how people are discovering formerly "ethnic" ingredients beyond their traditional uses, incorporating those flavors into everyday eating. "Don't be surprised if in the next few years Japanese Katsu, a tangy cross between BBQ and steak sauce, and cajeta, a Mexican caramel, gain the broad appeal that once-regional tastes like Asian hot chili sauce have achieved," said Vetter.
In addition to "Global My Way," following are the five leading global food trends with 10 flavor combinations featured in the McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2013:
- No Apologies Necessary – Diving headfirst into sumptuous flavors to enjoy the gratification of a momentary escape
- Decadent Bitter Chocolate, Sweet Basil & Passion Fruit – An intensely indulgent combo that delights all the senses
- Black Rum, Charred Orange & Allspice – An instant tropical getaway, this sultry collision balances richness and warmth
- Personally Handcrafted – A hands-on approach showcasing the very best of ourselves
- Cider, Sage & Molasses – Rustic and comforting, this combo brings natural goodness to every meal of the day
- Smoked Tomato, Rosemary, Chile Peppers & Sweet Onion – Smoky, sweet and spicy flavors energize handcrafted ketchup, sauces, jams and more
- Empowered Eating – Creating health and wellness harmony through a highly personalized, flexible approach
- Farro Grain, Blackberry & Clove – Healthy ancient grain rediscovered with powerful hits of fruit and spice
- Market-Fresh Broccoli & Dukkah (blend of cumin, coriander, sesame and nuts) – Satisfying flavors and textures, mixing unexpected varieties of broccoli with Middle Eastern spice blend
- Hidden Potential – A waste-not mentality, uncovering the fullest flavors from every last part of the ingredient
- Hearty Meat Cuts, Plantain & Stick Cinnamon – A new take on meat and potatoes, these ingredients inspire creative approaches that unlock their full flavor potential
- Artichoke, Paprika & Hazelnut – Ingredients you thought you knew invite new explorations, unleashing their deliciously versatile starring qualities
- Global My Way – Discovering the unlimited flavor possibilities of global ingredients, beyond traditional roles in "ethnic" cuisines
- Japanese Katsu Sauce & Oregano – Tangy flavors of BBQ and steak sauce create the next go-to condiment
- Anise & Cajeta (Mexican caramel sauce) – Sweet, rich delight transports desserts and savory dishes to new places
To explore the future of global flavor with inspired recipes and mouthwatering photos, visit www.FlavorForecast.com .
About Flavor Forecast
Since 2000, McCormick has been on the forefront of identifying emerging culinary trends through its signature Flavor Forecast, a delicious expression of our passion for flavor. This annual look at the future of flavor is highly anticipated, acting as a catalyst for innovation within the broader food industry. The Flavor Forecast makes a difference in the way people create and experience food around the world. Visit www.flavorforecast.com  for more information.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor. With more than $3.5 billion in annual sales, the company manufactures, markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry—retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses. Every day, no matter where or what you eat, you can enjoy food flavored by McCormick. McCormick brings passion to flavor.™ Visit mccormick.com , mccormickcorporation.com  and Facebook.com/McCormickSpice  for more information.
 Mintel Menu Insights, US, All dining types, Q2 2004-2012 – 244 mentions in 2004, 767 mentions in 2012
 Innova Market Research Database, US Food and Beverage Categories, Jan. 2008-Jun. 2012
McCormick & Company, Incorporated has unveiled its McCormick® Flavor Forecast® 2013. Now in its thirteenth year, the report is an annual spotlight on the emerging trends that the company expects to drive in terms of flavor innovation over the next several years.