Consumer Trends: Women's Health Names 125 Best Packaged Foods
NEW YORK (PRNewswire) — For all the benefits of fresh, whole food, there's no denying that sometimes, a meal from a bag, box, or can is just easier. Women's Health has compiled its annual list of the "125 Best Packaged Foods for Women," the ultimate guide to the best-tasting and healthiest packaged foods available on the shelves today. These supermarket finds are not only convenient and time-saving, they also won't compromise your abs or taste buds.
The list, which was selected by Women's Health editors and an expert panel of nutritionists, features products in the following categories: Sweets & Treats; Condiments; Soups; Meats & Seafood; Fruits & Veggies; Dairy; Bread & Cereals; Frozen Meals; Drinks; Pasta & Rice; Snacks, Crackers & Chips.
The full list of winners is available in the October issue of Women's Health, on newsstands today and online at http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/healthy-food-choices?cm_mmc=PR-_-Feature-_-BPF-_-Oct for more information about this year's "125 Best Packaged Foods for Women" list. A PDF of the article is also available to members of the media upon request. Products on this year's list include, but are not limited to:
SWEETS & TREATS
- Newman's Own Organics Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies: You can eat a handful without exceeding the serving size, and the baked-in whole grains guarantee that these crunchy cookies are satisfying.
- Edy's Fruit Bars: Coconut, Pineapple, Orange Variety Pack: Real fruit pieces flavor these sweet tropical pops and help keep your blood sugar from skyrocketing.
- Wholly Salsa Classic, Medium: So fresh-tasting, you'll know the short, all-natural ingredients list isn't hiding a thing. Cilantro Flavor, backed by subtle heat, eliminates the need for added fat.
- SunButter Natural No-Stir Creamy: Supercharge your next PB&J with this creamy sunflower seed spread. It's loaded with healthy fats, protein, and fiber, not to mention a slightly sweeter-than-PB roasted flavor.
- Nueva Cocina Cuban Black Bean Soup: Black beans are rich in belly-filling fiber, protein, and health-boosting antioxidants.
- Pacific Natural Foods Organic Butternut Squash Bisque: Creamy, yes, but not because of fat. Carrots, squash, and spices are pureed and sealed in a BPA-free, earth-friendly package.
MEATS & SEAFOOD:
- Oscar Meyer Selects Applewood-Smoked Turkey Breast: Quit artificial preservatives cold turkey – these slices are completely free of them. And when it comes to flavor, they rival anything in the deli case.
- SeaPak Shrimp Spring Rolls with Sweet Thai Chili Dipping Sauce: Toss the takeout menu—these shrimp-and-veggie filled rolls are oven-baked to crispy, golden perfection in minutes. No grease, no saturated fat, and no tip required.
FRUITS & VEGGIES:
- Sunsweet 60-Calorie Packs Cherry-Essence Prunes: Single-serving fruits pumped up with cherry flavor are a good source of potassium, and a recent study linked eating dried plums to better bone health in women.
- Peas of Mind Broccoli Veggie Wedgies: You're never too old to sneak more veggies into your diet, especially broccoli which is packed with cancer-fighting glucosinolates. It's a main ingredient in these oven-crisped "fries."
- Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt, Blood Orange: Expecting the double whammy of citrus and yogurt in this fat-free, protein-packed cup to be overwhelmingly tart? You're in for a pleasant surprise: It tastes like a Creamsicle!
- Coffee-mate Natural Bliss Low-Fat Vanilla Creamer: Get the taste of a fancy coffee drink for a fraction of the calories with this all-natural flavored creamer.
BREADS & CEREALS:
- Stonefire Naan, Garlic: This traditional Indian flatbread is a treat for your taste buds – and with a surprising amount of appetite-appeasing protein and zero preservatives, not so bad for the rest of you, either.
- Bear Naked Fit Almond Crisp Cereal: Power your day the right way with these energy-lifting clusters of whole-grain flakes, pepita and chia seeds, almond slivers, and coconut flakes. Every spoonful is all-natural.
- Amy's Gluten-Free Tofu Scramble Breakfast Wrap: This wrap is vegan and dairy-free, but it doesn't skimp on protein. Tofu, veggies, and hash browns make a satisfying morning combo in a super convenient package.
- Kashi Chicken Fettuccine Steam Meal: Whole-grain fettuccine, broccoli, mushrooms, and zucchini in a white-wine Parmesan cream sauce almost sounds too good for a microwave meal… but it's true!
- Honest Tea Raspberry Fields: What's on the outside of this bottle—a label with a short ingredient list—is as refreshing as what's in the inside. Maybe that's why each sip tastes like it came from a pitcher of just-picked berries rather than a factory.
- V8 V-Fusion Sparkling Tangerine Raspberry: With less than half the calories of regular soda, this lightly sparkling fruit-and-veggie blend manages to pack a full serving of produce into each can.
PASTA & RICE:
- Minute Steamers Whole-Grain Brown Rice: Even easier than boiling water. This bag goes from freezer to microwave to plate, leaving you with perfectly steamed, fluffy whole-grain brown rice in four minutes flat.
- Ronzoni Pasta Portions Penne Pasta: Each boil-in-the-bag self-straining pouch cooks up the ideal amount (1¼ cup) of noodles for a solo meal or a side you can share.
SNACKS, CRACKERS & CHIPS:
- Food Should Taste Good Barbeque Kettle-Cooked Sweet Potato Chips: It's a good thing these smoky-flavored sweet-potato chips are so satisfying because despite incredible flavor, you're satiated at the suggested serving size.
- Kind Nuts & Spices Madagascar Vanilla Almond: Like trail mix in bar form, this combo of four different nuts is an excellent source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that wipes out age-causing free radicals.
About Women's Health ( www.WomensHealthMag.com)
Women's Health is the must-have action plan for today's modern woman. From beauty to style to fitness, Women's Health propels our nearly 13 million consumers into action, providing the motivation and the inspiration for them to make instant, positive changes in their lives. Launched in October 2005 and published 10 times a year by Rodale Inc., Women's Health has quickly grown into a multimedia brand that includes branded books, mobile applications and renowned events. With 16 international editions covering 28 countries reaching more than 10 million readers every month, Women's Health is the fastest-growing international women's magazine in the world today. Named the 2011 ASME National Magazine Award winner in the General Excellence category in "Fashion, Service and Lifestyle", industry accolades for Women's Health include earning the #2 spot on Adweek's 2010 Hot List and the #1 spot on their 2008 "10 Under 50" Hot List. Advertising Age also named Women's Health their "Magazine of the Year" in 2009 and gave the title the #2 spot on their 2008 A List. For more up-to-the-minute information visit www.womenshealthmag.com ) and get instant updates via Twitter (@WomensHealthMag) and Facebook (Women's Health Magazine).